Last week I started reading a post from Polly, who blogs at Follow Your Sunshine. I met her through a travel link up, and I have loved watching her blog grow over the past few months and reading about her adventures living in the Middle East. Last week, she was nominated for a Liebster Award. I had never heard of it before, but I loved the questions that she was asked and thought it was a really cute idea. As I got to the end of her post, I was so excited to see that she had nominated me with her own set of questions at the end! As she explained it, it’s made for bloggers by bloggers to raise their profile in the blogging community.
I found out that “liebster” translates from German to “dearest,” and I think it’s a fun way to get to know our dearest blog friends a little better and to make some new blog friends, too. And one of the things I love about the blogging community is how bloggers are always helping each other out, working together and supporting each other, so thanks so much for nominating me, Polly!
The rules are as follows:
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site
2. Write a post answering the questions you were given
3. Nominate 5 – 11 other bloggers for the award (let them know you have done so!) and come up with a set of 10 – 11 questions for them to answer
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
I have always loved to write! Starting a blog has been in the back of my mind for years, but I never knew what I would blog about. When Nick and I moved to Hawaii, I thought it would be great way to share stories with our friends and family about our time here, and a great way to preserve our memories. It was very daunting to me at first. It took me a year of living here to finally decide to just take the plunge and try blogging!
2. Which one place in the world would you most like to visit and why?
New Zealand has been my number 1 travel destination for a long time. There are so many beautiful places to visit – mountains, glaciers, fjords, star gazing, kayaking, hiking – you name it, and it seems like New Zealand has it. There are so many interesting cities with amazing restaurants and wine regions, too. Basically, New Zealand has everything Nick and I love to do, and I am so excited that Nick and I are making that happen soon.
3. If you could have 3 wishes what would they be?
– Travel the world!
– Get into a PhD program
– Have a home in Italy and be able to spend summers there!
4. Hit me up with an inspirational quote to use at the end of one of my blog posts.
5. What is the best meal you have ever eaten?
This is a really hard question! I asked Nick for his input on this one and we couldn’t decide! I think our best meals have been at places where we have enjoyed tasting menus. The one that comes to mind most recently is at Chef Mavro here in Hawaii, where for Nick’s 29th birthday, we indulged in a 14-course grand degustation menu! It was an incredible experience.
6. Whose blog do you read consistently and why?
My two friends, Christy at Planes, Trains, and Running Shoes, and Holly at Faith, Hope and Baseball. I love catching up with what they are up to, and they are both so uplifting and positive. I love their writing styles, too – it’s like having a coffee date with them every time they post!
7. What’s your best ‘life hack’ or tip?
Meal planning makes life so much easier. On Sunday, I sit down and write out what we are going to make for the week and then plan out what what ingredients I need to buy. I feel so much more organized when I don’t have to scramble for dinner, and I feel like Nick and I eat so much healthier when I meal plan.
8. What’s your favourite joke?
I love a joke that my dad always tells when we are talking about diets or food or eating healthy:
“I’m on a seefood diet. I see food, and I eat it.”
9. If you could change one thing that you did in your life, what would it be?
I honestly can’t think of anything I would change, because everything I have done, every choice I have made, has led me right to where I am right now. And I love where I am right now. But, sometimes I think I should have had a little more fun in college because I took myself way too seriously back then! I think I should have had a better balance of work and play. This balance is something I learned to do much, much later.
10. Sunshine or moonlight?
Sunshine all the way. I love laying on the beach, hiking, enjoying a long leisurely lunch outside, riding my bike, and feeling the sun on my face.
Now, I would like to nominate two special ladies whose blogs I love and who I think would enjoy answering some questions on their blogs!
Christy at Planes, Trains, and Running Shoes
Holly at Faith, Hope and Baseball
I also want to invite anyone to answer these questions who wants to! Send me a link to your answers if you do:)
1. What are you reading right now?
2. What advice do you have for new bloggers?
3. How do you stay creative with your blog? In other words, where do you get your inspiration, and how do you come up with ideas for new posts?
4. What is your favorite thing about where you live?
5. Share a link to your favorite go-to weeknight dinner recipe!
6. How would you spend an extra $100?
7. What’s the best place you have ever traveled to?
8. What is a skill you would like to learn?
9. What is your favorite TV show?
10. Which blog post are you most proud of? Share a link!